Thursday, March 11, 2010

Can we talk about politics?


I had the first successful conversation with my husband on politics (I felt :) ) last night. Perhaps it was because we were interrupted by our arrival at the Wednesday night testimony meeting at our church (maybe all political conversations should happen on our way in to church :) ).

I was able to see his perspective and that it wasn’t right or wrong, just as my perspective wasn’t right or wrong. They were both ideas and philosophies about government and they both could be successful. In fact they each attempt to repair the problems with the other system. But the problem isn’t the system (whether it’s more government control or less); the problem is with the greed, misuse of control, dishonesty or lack of balance that can occur in both of these systems. And a fear of what will take control if the other system takes place.

I, of course, don’t have the perfect government solution but I was grateful for the breakthrough in having a conversation about government that didn’t have to result in my taking your side or you taking mine. I could simply just let go and appreciate someone else’s perspective rather than trying to find the faults in theirs because they could certainly find the faults in mine.

So I guess the bottom line is, it was nice to share ideas. I’m glad church was there to stop our conversation before it perhaps turned into an unsuccessful conversation, but perhaps we will get better at this as we progress.

It just felt good to humbly think, I don’t know what’s best, and I don’t have all the answers but thanks for sharing your ideas and hearing mine too.

No comments:

Post a Comment